What is diversity and connection? Merriam-Webster says diversity is: “the condition of having or being composed of differing elements: variety especially; the inclusion / regard of different types of people (such as people of different races or cultures) in a group or organization.” The Merriam Webster definition of connection includes: “the act of connecting;the state of being connected; a relation of personal intimacy; coherence; continuity.
The reason for using the word connection instead of inclusion is that inclusion in the Google dictionary is, “the action or state of including or of being included within a group or structure” which can imply that a group must allow an inclusion and thus retains control. At the Center for Coaching Certification, we value everyone as an equal and support achieving equity.
Coaching supports diversity and connection. It starts with being open and accepting of all. It is furthered through supporting others to also be open and accepting of all. Examples of coaching questions that support diversity and connection include:
- What is your thinking about people who are different?
- What do you think they think?
- What thinking is respectful?
- How does your thinking impact workplace relationships?
- How do your feelings impact workplace relationships?
- What are ideal parameters for workplace relationships?
- What are the reasons for having different people work together?
- What are the benefits of having different people work together?
- What are appropriate ground rules for different people working together?
- How does having different people working together add value?
- How can you maximize the variety of skills and perspectives?
Coaching Certification combined with coach training in Diversity and Connection provide the skills and the knowledge to support diversity and connection in the coaching profession and with the clients we all serve.