The competencies of Establishing Trust and Intimacy with the Coachee plus Coaching Presence build on your ethics and agreement with a focus on adjusting your coaching process to the coachee.
To provide professional coaching services in keeping with these competencies, during the coaching relationship plan to:
- Ask the coachee how they want the relationship to work.
- Give respect to earn it.
- Trust in their abilities to be trusted.
- Discuss different approaches.
- Ask what the coachee wants specifically.
- Define how success is measured.
- Explore how to communicate, manage accountability, and celebrate successes.
- Practice with questionnaires as a learning tool and a starting point.
- Use different processes including those described here and various techniques when coaching.
- Decide if you are offering blended services:
- Training and coaching.
- Consulting and coaching.
- Other professional services and coaching.
- Research assessments, decide on certification, know about resources to access.
- Practice being present and dancing in the moment with coachees wherein you listen, rephrase, then ask the next question based on where the coachee is at and going.
- Refine your skills and tools:
- Tweak questions.
- Edit forms.
These specific tips are useful in preparing for and providing coaching services. Coaching certification is a great start for setting yourself up to successfully use these tips and in coaching continuing education is part of the Code of Ethics.