Here is an example of a wellness coaching engagement using models, processes, and the coaching competencies.
Visualize being hired for a wellness coaching relationship. The coachee is dealing with high blood pressure and wants to wear a size 14. In an introductory session, you learn about the coachee’s situation. Based on the coachee’s desire to immediately work on exercise and diet plans, you discuss using the STAR model: Situation, Task (or Thoughts), Action, Results.
After signing the agreement with the coachee, you move right into clarifying the situation and defining the coachee’s tasks. From there the conversation flows into the coachee listing specific action steps. In the next coaching session, you check in with the coachee and find that they are stuck in the same place. As the coach, you discuss different approaches with the coachee including a holistic approach. The coachee is feeling more comfortable with you as their coach and chooses to move to the holistic approach. Switching to the CPC process, you schedule a session for exploring the coachee’s big picture.
During the coaching session, the coachee becomes aware of influencing factors and competing priorities. You ask the coachee what they want their results to be and what might get in the way. The coachee shares that it is challenging for them to believe they can do it and to stay focused. In the next session, you provide the coachee with a summary of their goals, a tool they can use consistently to build confidence and as a reminder.
As you continue coaching with questions and rephrasing, you work with the coachee to build their confidence. When the coachee is ready, they start again with their diet and exercise planning. When you ask how they want to manage accountability, they list things they will do and say they want you checking in too. In the following session, the coachee is excited to report they are making progress and you take time to acknowledge their success.
Questions for this Coaching Scenario:
- What is happening for you now?
- What is your understanding of your circumstances?
- What do you want your diet to be?
- What is your current exercise routine?
- What do you want your exercise routine to be?
- What could challenge your following through?
- How will you move past the challenges?
- What is working well?
- What is holding you back?
- What is your understanding of a task focus versus a holistic approach in coaching?
- How will you measure your progress?
- What are your priorities?
- What influences you?
- What success have you experienced?
- What success do you want to create?
- How will you create your new successes?
- How will you move past challenges?
- How will you stay on track?
- How do you want to manage accountability?
- How do you want to stay motivated?
- How do you want to acknowledge progress?
- How do you want to celebrate success?
- When do you want to be celebrating your success?