Here is an example of a life coaching engagement using models, processes, and the coaching competencies.
A colleague in your network refers a coachee who is retiring and transitioning to a new lifestyle and home in a retirement community. Because you want the coachee to be comfortable with coaching and with you as coach, you offer a free introductory session. Based on the connection and coachee’s objectives, you move forward to establishing the coaching agreement and providing your Code of Ethics. The process you are using works well with the Co-Initiation, Co-Sensing, Presencing, Co-Creating, Co-Evolving model. Continuing with your co-initiation and moving into co-sensing by developing the trust and intimacy plus being present to the coachee, you have an opening session with a big-picture exploration of what your coachee wants in all different areas of their life. Next you blend the coachee’s goals into a story using their language for presencing the coachee to what they want their life. From there, you co-create how they want to communicate, strategize, plan, and be held accountable. As the coachee considers the meaning of different options, reflects on how they are applying life lessons, and chooses what they want to be involved with, you co-evolve.
Questions for this Coaching Scenario:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What do you want? What else?
- What does achieving what you want mean to you?
- Describe your life after achieving what you want.
- What will you see?
- What will you feel?
- What will you hear?
- How do you want to move toward what you want?
- How do you want the coaching sessions to support you?
- How do you want to be held accountable?
- How do you want to acknowledge your progress?
- How do you want to celebrate your successes?
- What might challenge you?
- How will you move past the challenges?
- What are your resources?
- How will you maximize your resources?
- What are your strategies for making change?
- What are your thoughts on what you are learning?
- What do you want to be aware of in your daily life?
- How will you apply what you are learning?
- How are you benefitting from your reflections?