Core to the foundation for the CCC Stairway to Success Coaching Model is adopting and promoting the Code of Ethics. The CCC trains coaches to promote the Code of Ethics on their website and include key concepts in a written agreement.
To follow the Code of Ethics provided by the ICF, here is a short list:
- Ensure your conduct is professional:
- Accurately portray your credentials and experience.
- Respect and honor others’ efforts and contributions.
- Know your personal limitations.
- Complete research in keeping with appropriate guidelines and with integrity.
- Ensure confidentiality in record keeping and storage.
- Prevent or address conflicts of interest:
- Avoid known conflicts of interest.
- Disclose potential or learned conflicts of interest.
- Ensure service exchanges and referrals are appropriate, fair, and with integrity.
- Interact professionally with clients:
- Define the nature of the coaching relationship in a written agreement.
- Establish clear, respectful, and appropriate boundaries.
- Ensure that coaching and continuation of services best serves the client.
- Protect confidentiality:
- Establish a clear agreement on confidentiality, and if there is a sponsor (third-party payer), on the level of reporting.
- Training programs shall clarify confidentiality policies.
- Ensure when managing coaches that the code of ethics is adhered to and confidentiality standards followed.
Coach Training and ICF membership are required for ethical coaching and accountability.