What is a balanced life? What a fun question to explore! During the initial coach training class, we practice exploring what a client wants in all different areas of their life. From there the client is empowered to identify priorities, consider the time they want for various interests, and how specifically they want to use their time. The client is invited to also consider how they want to be as a person.
Remember that as a coach, it is essential we find our balance too so that we are fully present for clients. So, for both self-reflection and with a client, here are questions to explore:
- What does balance mean to you?
- What is the right balance for you now?
- What are your influencing factors?
- What are your competing priorities?
- What are your strategies for balance?
- What might interfere?
- How will you set and maintain healthy boundaries?
- What are your resources for balance?
- Who is your support network for balance?
- What is your action plan?
- How will you hold yourself accountable for your own self-care?
Another tool from coaching certification is to have the client describe their ideal outcome. Invite the client to consider in turn what they will see, hear, feel, smell, and taste. The more detailed the description the more real the possibility and the stronger the motivation to achieve.