This book is for one’s personal exploration of career development.
Summary – The chapters of the book include:
Section 1: Living a Life You Love
- This Can Be Your Guide
- You Are What You Do
- How To Decide
- Use the Pathfinder As Your Guide
Section 2: How To Get From Here To There (The Library)
- Why You Don’t Get What You Want
- The Power of Commitment
- Make Decisions – A Short Course
- Goals and Projects
- When You Get Stuck
- The Bottom Line – Research
- Right Livelihood
- Seven Keys
- The Rockport Career Design Method
Section 3: Design Your Career
Part 1: Who Am I? Personality, Talents, Roles, Functions
- Temperament and Personality
- Your Core Personality
- Natural Talents
- Natural Roles
- The Games of Life
- They Pay You To Perform Specific Job Functions
Part 2: Why Work? Meaning, Purpose, Goals, Rewards
- Passions, Meaning, Mission, Purpose
- Values and Rewards
Part 3: Work Where? Workplace Environment
Part 4: Putting It All Together
- Which Careers Fit Best?
- Final Research and Make the Choice
- What If Nothing Fits or I Can’t Decide?
Section 4: Marketing and Job Search
- Personal Marketing Principles
- The Job Search
- Rockport Type and Talent Indicator
The Good: A great tool for exploring considerations and developing your focus.
The Bad: Most useful to individuals and coaches will want to extrapolate ideas to use in coaching work.
Conclusion: While it has the element of marketing a specific approach it is a great tool for awareness, exploration, and planning.