What does it take to become a coach? The process starts with training and initially flows into earning a credential with the International Coaching Federation. This process is outlined with these 5 Steps to Become a Coach:
1. Training – the gold standard in the coaching profession is at a minimum to become a member of the International Coaching Federation and that requires 60 hours of accredited coach training. The ACC credential requires 60 hours of training, the PCC credential requires 125 hours of training, and the MCC credential requires 200 hours of training.
2. Experience – building on your training with experience as a coach using the tools, techniques, and processes learned in coach training is how you upgrade efficacy for your service offering. At the ACC level you must have 100 hours of experience coaching clients. For the PCC you must have 500 hours of experience coaching clients. At the MCC level you must have 2500 hours of experience coaching clients.
3. Mentor Coaching – when you want to earn a credential as a coach, in addition to the training and experience you are required to engage with a mentor coach for 10 hours with a focus on your coaching and demonstration of the coaching competencies.
4. Assessment – at the ACC credential level one recorded session of you coaching a client must be assessed and pass at the ACC level. At the PCC credential level two different recorded sessions of you coaching a client must be assessed and pass at the PCC level. At the MCC credential level two different recorded sessions of you coaching a client must be assessed and pass at the MCC level.
5. Exam – all of the credential levels require passing the Coach Knowledge Assessment – an exam testing your knowledge of the coaching competencies and ethics.
The process can be done with an a-la-carte approach to accumulate training hours or with a program that moves you from start to finish for earning a credential.
For the a-la-carte approach to earn membership or the ACC, here are the programs in order:
· Certified Professional Coach: Overview, Schedule, and Application
· Certified Master Coach: Overview, Schedule, and Application
· Mentor Coaching: Overview, Schedule, and Application
For a start-to-finish cohort supporting you earning a credential with the ICF, here are your options:
· Level 1: Foundational Cohort: Overview, Schedule, and Application to earn the ACC
· Level 2 (previously completed 60 hours of coach-specific training) Growth Cohort: Overview, Schedule, and Application to continue after the ACC and earn the PCC
· Level 2: Advanced Cohort: Overview, Schedule, and Application to earn the PCC