How many people do you know that forget to acknowledge their own progress and success? It is ironic then when people do achieve something so many either forget or are hesitant to acknowledge themselves. At the same time, acknowledging yourself for your progress and for your successes motivates you to keep going!
Coaching certification focused on the 11 Core Competencies of a coach includes “Managing Progress and Accountability” as a competency. This competency of managing accountability does include acknowledging progress and success. That means that coaches do take time to commend clients and support their self-recognition.
Questions to ask:
- How do you prefer to celebrate progress and success?
- How do you want me to support you so you do celebrate?
- How do you feel about your progress?
- How are you acknowledging yourself?
- What is the value of acknowledging your progress?
- How will you benefit by recognizing progress and success?
- How will others benefit when you recognize progress and success?
- How will you maintain your focus and engagement?
- How will you stay motivated?
Acknowledging progress and success opens up thinking and possibilities plus motivates in the same way that positivity does. Plus, acknowledging yourself for steps, milestones, and achievements builds confidence. Coaching is intended to create meaningful change; acknowledging for the positivity and confidence is part of the reason coaching works.
What are your tips for acknowledging progress and/or success?