As a coach, plan a conversation with that manager. Be ready with a copy of the Code of Ethics and the Master Coaching Agreement, plus a blank report form similar to this:
|Goal||Action Steps||Timeline||Progress Notes|
Ask the questions below and share the foundational information as appropriate.
- Code of Ethics: confidentiality and record keeping because when the manager sees there are standards and ethics for coaching that protect the confidentiality there is additional credibility and acceptance.
- Master Coaching Agreement with the sponsor because in the agreement the confidentiality of the coaching sessions is stated.
- A form for the coach and the client to complete together listing goals, plans, and progress notes that the client can provide to their manager (or authorize the coach to provide it).
- What outcomes are you interested in seeing from the coaching?
- What do you believe it will take for that to happen?
- What of that information may I share with the client/employee?
- If a coach shares what a client says, how much will a client say?
- How will a coach disclosing client information impact the coaching relationship?
- How will it impact the outcomes?
- Given that the information is confidential based on the Code of Ethics and the Master Coaching Agreement, what is an option that does work?
Ultimately client confidentiality is protected so the purpose is to work with the manager effectively so that they support the coaching process and outcomes.