In the previous blog I shared my own story of being pulled into negative thinking then shared ideas for changing to positive thinking. When you are choosing to think positively, practicing each day makes a difference.
Here are some specific things that can promote positive thinking:
- Pay attention to your overall wellness. Make sure you’re getting regular exercise and are following a healthy diet – both are critical to fostering a healthy mind.
- Take a deep breath and smile – it opens up your heart to receive love and positive energy.
- Laugh. A lot. Watch a comedy, hang out with friends, or whatever you find most enjoyable and can get a good belly laugh.
- Surround yourself with positive people and influences.
- Make a list of things you’re grateful for right now, and then give thanks for them.
- Meditate or do yoga – it’s one of the best ways to relax, clear your mind, and reset your focus.
- Take responsibility for your life. You create your life and you have the choice to make change happen.
Just like starting a new exercise or eating plan, it takes time for something to become a habit. Be gentle and encouraging with yourself as mistakes will happen – no one is perfect. As my Grandpa used to say, and many continue to say, “Practice makes perfect,” so practice every day!