Continuing education is normally required to maintain licensure, a credential, or certification in a multitude of professions and industries. In looking at requirements in a variety of fields, this can range from hours each year to 30 or more hours each reporting period. Some professions are specific regarding who can give the continuing education. The International Accreditors for Continuing Education and Training accredit organizations to offer CEUs or Continuing Education Units. Some organizations give CEUs without accreditation as the term is public domain. The term PDU – Professional Development Unit – is an alternative. CLE = Continuing Legal Education and CPE = Continuing Professional Education plus there are other specific variations too. In coaching we use the term Continuing Coach Education.
Reasons Continuing Education is Required in Many Professions:
· Ensure up-to-date knowledge for practitioners in various fields.
· Ensure ethics are kept front and center.
· Support compliance with standards.
· Maintain skills.
· Address skills gaps.
· Address behavior gaps.
· Credibility for the profession.
Benefits of Continuing Education for Professionals:
· Professional development to advance career.
· Earn additional certifications for credibility and professional advancement.
· Enhance skills.
· Life-long learning is healthy.
· Stay current with trends and technologies.
· Stay abreast of changes in the profession.
· Credibility for the professional in the field.
Requirements at the Center for Coaching Certification:
· Current: 12 clock hours every two years to maintain coach login access.
· Near Future: Match the International Coaching Federation requirements and require 40 hours every three years.
Requirements at the International Coaching Federation:
· ACC: 40 hours every three years with at least 24 hours in core competencies and 3 of these hours must be in ethics and ten of these hours must be mentor coaching.
· PCC and MCC: 40 hours every three years with at least 24 hours in core competencies and 3 of these hours must be in ethics.
The fun side of continuing education includes the learning and connecting with colleagues. Options for continuing education include the Diversity and Equity program and the webinars listed at https://www.coachcert.com/resources/monthly-webinars.html